When going on an overseas motorcycle trip or relocating outside the country for a job, availing an international motorcycle shipping service becomes a necessity. However, there are several factors to consider before shipping your bike overseas so that the entire process is safe and hassle free.
It takes a thorough preparation and hiring a reliable and experienced shipping company to transport your bike to the new overseas location without issues. In today’s post, we’ll give you some essential tips on how to make your international motorcycle shipping a worry-free experience.
- Hire the Right Motorcycle Shipping Company
It’s critical to choose the right international shipping company for transporting your bike. Do your research and shortlist a few reputed service providers based on references and user ratings. Make sure that the companies you shortlist are all registered, licensed and authorized by law to move and haul vehicles. Check out the equipment, container and shipping options they provide. Also, inquire if they provide pickup and doorstep delivery services.
Before you determine which shipping company is right for you, get shipping quotes from each of them. Give a thorough check to the terms and conditions regarding delays, insurance, and hidden costs. There are several factors that can raise your costs such as additional insurance, immobility of the vehicle, storage during transit due to extreme weather conditions, etc. Finalize a company once you’re satisfied with their quote in terms of your budget and needs.
- Choose Shipping and Delivery Method
There are multiple carrier options available to ship a motorcycle. Depending on your budget and preference, determine whether you want to ship your bike through air freight or container shipping service. For container shipping, you can choose between open or closed container shipping.
Delivery methods can be either terminal-to-terminal or door-to-door. The first type of delivery method requires you to ride your bike to the movers while the second method entitles the company to pick up your bike from your specified start location and deliver it right at the doorstep of your new overseas address.
- Check Out Insurance Coverage
Insurance coverage is one of the key factors to consider when shipping your motorcycle internationally because it’s necessary to get the desired level of protection for your vehicle. Before you sign the contract with the motorcycle shipping company, check their insurance policy thoroughly. Here are a few things you should ask the shipping company.
- The company’s liability in terms of coverage from the beginning to the end of the transportation process. It’s important to confirm if they provide full coverage till they handle your motorcycle to you at the destination. Several shipping companies don’t provide accident coverage for events that may occur while transporting your bike from the unloading spot to your specified destination.
- The proof of insurance that clarifies the validity of the insurance certificate and its source. Don’t hesitate to inquire whom to contact for insurance money and if there are any subcontractors or brokers involved in the process.
After you have all your queries answered, get the policy and contract in writing. Make sure that all services that they’ve assured to provide are mentioned in the contract before signing.
- Prepare Your Bike for Shipping
To ensure that your bike reaches the overseas destination safely and in ready-to-ride shape, you must prepare it before shipping.
- Wash your bike and inspect it carefully for scratches, chips, dents and mechanical damages.
- Fold the mirrors inwards, deactivate anti-theft alarm if any, set neutral gear, and remove all personal things such as top case, panniers, etc.
- Check for fuel leaks, tyre pressure, and empty half of your gas tank to cut off transportation costs.
Take photos of your bike from different angles and keep a record of every detail before handing it over to the shipping company. When the mover comes to pick up our motorcycle, have your bike photographs and statement signed so that you can show them as proof of the condition of your bike before shipping in case it gets damaged during transportation.
If you’re unsure about the accuracy of the paperwork involved in the overseas shipping of your motorcycle, take help from experts. Incorrect documentation can lead to extra charges, delivery delays and /or other hassles.
Viamar Scilla Transport International is a leading auto shipping service provider in Canada. We offer air and land transport, door-to-door delivery method and a full range of shipping services. Call us at 1-800-277-7570 or request a quote today!